Over the past decade, our community has discussed, debated, and studied a permanent location for a primary bus transfer facility. The City conducted two site selection studies in 2014 and 2018, in addition to a TIGER grant application in 2016 that was not awarded.
In July 2020, the City and the University of Kansas signed a legal agreement to move forward with further study and development of a multimodal transfer facility on university property located at Bob Billings & Crestline Drive. This location takes into account community feedback from prior studies that sought a relatively central location and one that did not encroach on established neighborhoods.
In 2021, the City and KU will conduct a Route Redesign Study and move forward on the multimodal transfer facility design. Decisions about route redesign will inform design decisions for the transfer facility. Different route design concepts may result in different transfer facility needs, so the two projects will be closely coordinated.
The Route Redesign Study and facility design will be completed in early 2022, with facility construction planned for 2022. The new facility will open in January 2023, coordinated with implementation of the route redesign.
Further information and reference materials can be found at the links below.
Route Redesign – KU Urban Planning – Fall 2020
- Scope of Work
- 2020 Route Redesign Study 1 – Survey 1 Summary
- 2020 Route Redesign Study 1 – Survey 2 Summary
- Route Redesign Study 1 – Final Report
Route Redesign – Consultant – Spring 2021
- Route Redesign Study Community Engagement Plan
- Route Redesign Study Community Engagement Plan Flyer
- Route Redesign Study 2 – Steering Committee
- News Release: Two Scenarios For Bus Route Redesign Presented For Public Input
- Task 1 – Market Analysis
- Route Profiles
- Task 2 – Public Outreach
Route Redesign – Fall 2021
- Route Redesign Study – Scenario 1 Map
- Route Redesign Study – Scenario 2 Map
- All Routes – Comparison of Existing and Proposed
- Read more and view Fall 2021 scenarios.
- 2022 Proposed Route Redesign Final Summary
Route Redesign Committee Meeting Agendas, Minutes and Recordings
Meeting agendas and materials will be sent to steering committee members and posted prior to meetings. Members of the public who wish to attend should sign up through the links below.
Route Redesign Public Meetings
- University Affiliates Focus Group (also open to the public): June 21, 2:30pm – 3:30pm, Video of meeting
- Frontline Staff Focus Group #1, Video of meeting
- Frontline Staff Focus Group #2, Video of meeting
- General Public Meeting: June 23, 6:00pm – 8:00pm, Video of meeting
- Draw Your Own Route Workshops: June 24, 10:00am – 12:00pm, 1:00pm – 3:00pm, 4:00pm – 6:00pm (Lawrence Public Library, Meeting Room C)
- Major Employers Focus Group (also open to the public): June 25, 10:00am – 11:00am, Video of meeting
- Community Resources Focus Group (also open to the public): June 25, 1:30pm – 2:30pm, Video of meeting
- Draft Scenarios Public Meeting: November 1, 5:30pm – 7:30pm, Video of meeting
- Draft Scenarios Public Meeting: November 5, 12:00pm – 2:00pm, Video of meeting