Latest plans for Multimodal Transit Transfer Facility available for public input
Lawrence Transit invites the public to view the latest plans for a multimodal transit transfer facility located at the southeast corner of Bob Billings and Crestline Drive.
There are several ways to get involved and share feedback about the latest plans.
- View 3D renderings, a site plan, and a floor plan at lawrencetransit.org/transfer-facility.
- Give your input on these new documents by taking a survey at lawrenceks.org/listens/surveys.
- Attend one of the public input sessions listed below, or email questions to email@example.com.
- 2/17, 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., Lawrence Public Library lobby
- 2/18, 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., 700 Vermont Street bus transfer area
- 2/23, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Kansas Union Jayhawk Walk Level 4
- 2/25, 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., 700 Vermont Street bus transfer area
- 2/28, 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., 700 Vermont Street bus transfer area
- 3/3, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Kansas Union Jayhawk Walk Level 4
- 3/4, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., 700 Vermont Street bus transfer area
The Bob Billings and Crestline multimodal transfer facility will become the main bus transfer location in Lawrence. It will include local and regional transit bus parking bays, a canopy-covered waiting area, bike parking, indoor facilities for bus operators and passengers and a customer service area.
A series of stakeholder meetings and public input sessions about the facility were held in April and June of 2021. The City Commission advanced a concept design in August 2021, which incorporates the reuse of an existing building. Feedback from participants was taken into account when finalizing the design, and at this stage of the process, we want to confirm that the site meets the public’s expectations for aesthetics and services available. After this round, we will consider the feedback provided and incorporate what we can into the final designs.
Lawrence Transit is working with Wendel Companies, a firm that has experience building public transportation infrastructure throughout the country.
The facility is expected to open in January 2023. Alongside the facility development, Lawrence Transit is working on a route redesign plan to better align bus routes with the location of the new facility. Information about route redesign is available at lawrencetransit.org/route-redesign.
For more information, visit the Transfer Facility page of the Lawrence Transit website at lawrencetransit.org/transfer-facility. You can also find us on Facebook: @lawrencetransit and on Twitter: @TransitKU.